TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - #3 Cylinder has me stumped!
People Seeking Info

Subject #3 Cylinder has me stumped!

Posted by Kick'n on July 23, 2018 at 8:27 PM
  This message has been viewed 336 times.

Message I recently installed a pair of wide band O2's and noticed the passenger side was running ~17 compared to the drivers ~14.5.

I did a bit of research and found the car could have a misfire causing the lean condition. This seemed to fit, since the car has a very fuel-y smell to the exhaust and idles a bit rough (Note: JWT 500+ cams).

So I completed the power balance test and all cylinders dropped idle when the coil was disconnected. However, #3 didn't drop the same as the others. When another cylinder was disconnected, the O2 for that side immediately jumps to ~22.3. When you disconnect #3 coil pack, the AFR starts at 17, then 17.4, 17.8, 18.3, etc, etc till 22.3; maybe a 2-3 minute ordeal.

Next I had the bright idea to disconnect the injectors and see what happens. All cylinders respond with idle drop except #3. No change in idle... ever. With the #3 injector disconnected, the AFR stays at ~17 on the passenger side. If you then pull the coil pack, the idle drops, afr goes to 22.3.

This immediately led me to think the injector is leaking fuel. So I pulled the plenum, pull the injector and the o-rings were not pinched. I reinstalled the injector in the rail, pulled the rail, powered on the car and spun the CAS, testing the injector spray pattern and to make sure it was not leaking. Injector was fine (nismo 740)

So... I am stumped. The cylinder continues to fire after the injector is unplugged. Injector is not leaking. Thoughts?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.